This week was all about the “backend” of our project. Dustin started off this week getting networking into our Unreal version of the game. We got to take it into QA early this week, and aside from some stuttering issues on one of the computers, it worked incredibly well. Another amazing thing we've been able to start using this week is Dustin’s QA tool. The tool allows us to record every gameplay session for footage that we can use for posts, social media, and bug tracking. It also has forms built into it so our QA process is seamless and super easy to run as a developer.
Dustin was also working heavily on getting Unreal’s Gameplay Ability System (GAS) to work this week. GAS is huge for our game as it will allow us to rapidly iterate on abilities for our characters to make gameplay fun and interesting.
Ellie made some concept art this week so we can now have visuals to go along with our documentation. The vision we have with the character of “Greed” is this disgusting monstrosity and the art really reflects that. Greed in humans is just this incredibly ugly thing so representing this in our game is important to all of us.
I updated our testing level a bit to make it larger and give it some verticality. This is important because we need to start toying around with level size and layouts to get our vision of how abilities should work in the environment to allow our game to feel and play great.
The key to this week was ironing out the final few technical things that we need to allow us to work as efficiently as possible the next few weeks. Now that we have the backend mostly done it is time to dive deep into Mechanics, Level Design, and Game Balance.
Also here is a video from QA testing of our game!